Ayutthaya Attractions, Attractions in Ayutthaya, what to do in Ayutthaya, Ayutthaya Sightseeing

larger text smaller
Historical Sites
Ancient Forts and Fortresses
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Ancient Forts and Fortresses
Ancient Forts and Fortresses
The city wall originally built by King U Thong was merely a moat-and-mound enclosure with a wall of wooden poles on top. A brick one was built later in the reign of King Maha Chakraphat. According to a Royal Chronicle, a number of fortresses were constructed such as Pom Maha Chai, Pom Sat Kop, Pom Phet, Pom Ho Ratchakhrue and Pom Champa Phon. Large fortresses were built on the meeting points of rivers. Pom Phet on the meeting point of the Chao Phraya and Pa Sak Rivers is now a public park while Pom Maha Chai at the corner of Chanthara Kasem Palace near Hua Ro Market was dismantled in the reign of King Rama I who had the bricks taken to be used in the construction of a new capital in Bangkok.
Chedi Phra Si Suriyothai
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
This pagoda is situated at the original site of the Rear Palace, in the west of the city. It is a memorial to Somdet Phra Suriyothai, who was the royal consort of Phra Mahachakkaraphat and the first heroine in Thai history. When the Burmese army intruded in 1548, Somdet Phra Suriyothai, clad in a warrior's suit, interrupted the fighting between the King and Phrachao Prae of Burma and was cut to death. Her death saved Ayutthaya from another attack from the Burmese.
City Wall And Gate
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
They were newly constructed by the command of King Rama IV. The original foundation of the city wall has since been found through excavation, thus revealing that the original area was much more spacious than what is visit to Ayutthaya City Wall And Gate.
Elephant Kraal Pavilion (Phaniat)
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Elephant Kraal Pavilion
Elephant Kraal Pavilion
The Pavilion, utilized as the royal seat to witness the elephant round up, is situated north of the city island. In the past wild elephants would be trained here to become war or transport animals. It is thought that in the Ayutthaya period the stockade was inside the city wall, but this one was built later and was used up until the Bangkok period. In the middle of the stockade is a shrine where the elephant guardian is supposed to reside. Posts made of whole timbers form the fence where elephants were tied up during the training. An elephant round-up was demonstrated here, during the reign of King Rama V, for the benefit of the Tsarevitch, who later became Nicholas II of Russia, during his visit to Siam.
Opening Hours : Daily from 08:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Khun Phaen House
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Khun Phaen House is a Thai-style house that conforms to descriptions in a popular Thai literary work. Khun Phaen's house is located on Pathon Road, Tambon Pratuchai, near Wihan Phra Mongkhon Bophit, is located within the area of the Ayutthaya liquor plant adjacent to Chedi Phra Si Suriyothai. Within the area is a common building, a Somdet Phra Si Suriyothai pavilion, a mound with marble Semas (boundary stones of a temple) aged over 400 years where the fragmented parts of Buddha images taken from Wat Phutthaisawan were buried, etc. The Liquor Distillery Organization, who sponsored the construction of the park, wished to devote all good deeds in transforming the former inner part of the royal compound to all of the late kings who used to live here. King Rama IX graciously named the park Suan Si Suriyothai on 25 May, 1989 and conferred the park to Her Majesty Queen Sirikit on the eve of her 60th anniversary.
Opening Hours : Daily from 09:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Phom Phet (The Diamond Fort)
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
This fort that remains almost intact while ruins of the other forts which had been destroyed are visible around the city island. This fortress, also known as Phom Phet Pairote, is situated on a site known as Bangkaja where the Maenam Chao Phraya and the Maenam Pasak meet to form the south-west corner of the city island. This large fortress is thought to have been built during the reign of King Mahathammaracha following the loss of Ayutthaya to the Burmese for the first time in 1549. The original earthen parapet was strengthened with brick.
Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Historical Park
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Ayutthaya Historical Park
Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
Historical Park
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Ayutthaya's historic temples are scattered throughout this once magnificent city and along the encircling rivers. Several of the more central ruins Wat Phra Si Sanphet, Wat Mongkhon Bophit, Wat Na Phra Meru, Wat Thammikarat, Wat Ratburana and Wat Phra Mahathat can be visited on foot.

It is possible to add more temples and ruins to travel itineraries by touring the city on a rented bicycle. An ideal combination of modes of transportation for visitors interested in seeing everything would be to hire a bicycle for the central temples and charter a long-tail boat to take a tour of the outlying ruins along the river.

Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Historical Park is situated opposite the Chao Sam Phraya National Museum. The main attraction in the historical park is Viharn Phramongkol Bophit which houses one of the largest bronze Buddha images in Thailand.
Portuguese Village
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
This village is located in Tambon Samphao Lom, on the west bank of the Maenam Chao Phraya to the south of the city. The Portuguese were the first Europeans to arrive at Ayutthaya in 1151. Antique objects, tobacco pipes, coins and accessories for religious ceremonies have been found at the site.
Prasat Nakhon Luang
Location : Nakhon Luang District
Prasat Nakhon Luang
Prasat Nakhon Luang
This ruin of the royal residence for summer retreats is on the east bank of the Pasak River. It was used by various Kings of Ayutthaya as a temporary camp en route a visit to the Lord Buddha's Footprint in Saraburi or a trip to Lopburi. Prince Damrong surmised that this residence was built during the reign of King Song Tham when the Footprint was discovered. The original building was later strengthened with brick and plaster during the reign King Prasat Thong. According to the royal annals, King Prasat Thong sent artists to Khmer in 1631 to copy the plan of a Khmer prasat from the capital city of Angkor Thom, hence the name Phra Nakhon Luang. However, only a simplified version of the original prasat was constructed and is currently a part of a temple where the monks help to keep the building in a state of good repair.
Si Suriyothai Park
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Is located within the area of the Ayutthaya liquor plant adjacent to Chedi Phra Si Suriyothai. On its total area of 5 rai, there is a common building, a Somdet Phra Si Suriyothai pavilion, a mound with marble Semas (boundary stones of a temple) aged over 400 years where the fragmented parts of Buddha images taken from Wat Phutthaisawan were buried, etc. the liquor distillery organization, who sponsored the construction of the park, wished to devoted all good deeds in transforming the former inner part of the royal compound to all of the late kings who used to live here before. King Rama IX graciously named the park "Suan Si Suriyothai" on 25 May, 1989. Then, the park was conferred to Her Majesty Queen Sirikit on the eve of her 60th birthday anniversary.
Opening Hours : Daily from 09:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
The Ancient Royal Palace
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
The Ancient Royal Palace
The Ancient Royal Palace
Currently called "Ancient Palace". The residential palace of every king was located close to the city wall of Ayutthaya. A road passes by from Chantharakasem Palace, which is two kilometres away to the north. The Ancient Royal Palace in Ayutthaya can now be seen only the old ruins of the building. It was assumed that it was constructed by King U - Thong, who founded Ayutthaya when he was at Wiang Lek. After the capital had been completed in 1353, he moved to the new Royal Palace at Nong Sa No which is now Wat Phra Si Sanphet. At that time all pavilions were made from wood. Later on in 1448, King Borom Trai Lokanat dedicated the Royal Palace for Wat Phra Si Sanphet and had the new Royal Palace constructed at the north of the Lopburi River. Several pavilions built inside the Royal Palace which are now known as "The Ancient Royal Palace", situated next to the northern section of the city wall with a road passing through Chankasem Palace 2 kilometers away had been resided by every monarch during the Ayutthaya period.

Important buildings inside the Grand Palace compound are : Remains of the throne halls that are left to be seen at present were constructed in the reign of King Borommatrailokkanat and used to serve as royal residences for all later kings.
Opening Hours : Daily from 06:00 am. - 06:00 pm.
Palaces
Bang Pa-In Palace
Location : Bang Pa-In District
Bang Pa-In Palace
Bang Pa-In Palace
A few miles down the Maenam Chao Phraya from Ayutthaya is the Bang Pa-In Summer Palace. The site was first used by the royal court as a summer retreat in the 17th century. However, the Palace was destroyed with the fall of Kingdom of Ayutthaya and was restored by King Rama IV in the mid 19th century. Most of the buildings that exist today date from the reign of King Rama V, who regularly spent his summers there. The structures represent a variety of architectural styles, set in a large park around ponds and waterways.

The only royal residence open to the public is the Chinese-style Wehat Chamroon Palace, constructed entirely of materials imported from China. In addition, there is an Italian-style palace, a circular pavilion with steps leading down to a pool, the graceful Thai-style Aisawan Tippaya Asna Pavilion in the middle of a lake, and, across one of the waterways, a Buddhist chapel in the neo-Gothic style with stained-glass windows. Scattered around the extensive gardens are European statues as well as monuments ordered to be built by King Rama V in memory of members of his family, one of them a much-loved Queen who drowned in a boating accident.

Places of interest in the Bang Pa-in Palace are as follows :
Monuments
King U – Thong Memorial
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Erected between Bueng Phra Ram and Wat Phra Si Sanphet. The life-size and a half statue cast from bronze and fumigated with green chemical is standing with a sword in his right hand. He is clad, crowned and bejewelled in a royal costume of the early Ayutthaya period. The monument was opened by His Majesty King Bhumibol on 24 June, 1970.
Monument of Queen Sunantha
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
This is a 3 metre high hexagonal marble building, situated on the east side of the royal palace. It was constructed to keep the ashed of the affectionate consort of King Rama V (Somdet Phranangchao Sunantha Kumarirat).
Somdet Phra Suriyothai Monument
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Somdet Phra Suriyothai Monument
Somdet Phra Suriyothai Monument
Located on a plain known as Thung Makham Yong on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River at Tambon Ban Mai, approximately 3-4 kilometres to the northeast of the city island of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. There is a life-size and a half bronze statue of Queen Suriyothai on the neck of her war elephant as well as another 49 associated sculptures, models of historical events, a huge reservoir and a public park. This plain was once a battlefield for several Thai-Burmese wars in the past. One of the heroic deeds that took place here was Queen Suriyothai's fight to save her husband, King Maha Chakraphat. She was killed on her elephant's neck by the King of Burma. In another later war 2 years after King Naresuan the Great declared independence, the Burmese king sent his son to station here at Thung Makham Yong whereas the king himself led his army to position to the south of the plain. King Naresuan, with a sword in his mouth led his soldiers to climb the wooden pole wall into the Burmese king's camp in many successful plunders. His sword was named "Phra Saeng Dap Khap Khai" in reminiscence of his victories.

As a historical battlefield of such great significance, a monument of Somdet Phra Suriyothai was constructed under Her Majesty Queen Sirikit's suggestion. Funding was provided jointly by the government and Thai people. The monument was constructed in honour of Her Majesty the Queen to mark her sixtieth birthday anniversary in 1992.
Museums
Ayutthaya Historical Study Centre
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
This centre is a national research institute devoted to the study of Ayutthaya, especially during the period when Ayutthaya was the capital of Thailand. The Centre is responsible for the museum of the history of Ayutthaya, which exhibits reconstructions from the past. The Centre also supports an information service and a library containing historical materials about Ayutthaya.
Opening Hours : Daily from 09:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Contact : Tel. 0 3524 5123
Ayutthaya Studies Institute
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
is an institute established with the aim of unertaking further study and research on Ayutthaya's history, its arts and culture, ways of life as well as local wisdoms. Aside from this, Ayutthaya Studies Institute also serves to promote this ancient capital by initiating several tourism-related projects with a prime focus on local culture and wisdom. Featured in the projects are a wide array of activities such as demonstration of OTOP products and performances. As well as this, a learning centre on arts, culture and local wisdom and an information centre providing local guide services for both Thais and foreigners alike are also established.
Chankasem National Museum
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Chankasem National Museum
Chankasem National Museum
Located on the bank of Pasak River, this palace was built during the reign of King Maha Thammaraja, the 17 th Ayutthaya monarch, for his son's residence (King Naresuan). Like other ruins, the palace was destroyed by the Burmese and left unrepaired for a long time. King Mongkut of the present Chakri dynasty ordered reconstructoin of this palace for use as a residence during his occasional visits to Ayutthaya. Some of the more interesting sites are : Palace Wall and Gate They were newly constructed by the command of King Rama IV. The original foundation of the palace wall has since been found through excavation, thus revealing that the original area was much more spacious than what is currently seen. Phlapphla Chatulamuk This wooden four-gabled roof pavilion is near the east gate of the palace. Originally, a residential place of King Mongkut during his visit to Ayutthaya, it later became the "Chantharakasem National Museum", under the responsibility of the Fine Arts Department.

Places of interest in Chankasem National Museume are as follows :
Opening Hours : From 09:00 am. - 04:00 pm. (Closed on Monday, Tuesdays and National holidays)
Chao Sam Phraya National Museum
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Chao Sam Phraya National Museum
Chao Sam Phraya National Museum
The construction of this museum was funded by the proceeds from the sale of votive tablets discovered in the underground crypts of the principal Prang tower of Wat Ratchaburana. Since the temple was built by King Borommarachathirat II (Chao Sam Phraya), the museum was named after him. The opening ceremony of this museum was held in 1961 and was presided over by Their Majesties the King and the Queen. It was the first museum in the country to present a new form of exhibition, displaying not too many objects in an interesting presentation.

There are 3 exhibition buildings as follows:
Opening Hours : From 09:00 am. - 04:00 pm. (Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays )
Contact : Tel. 0 3524 1587
Thai Boat Museum
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
The Thai Boat Museum is situated opposite Wat Mahathat, Bang Ian Road. The museum is located at the residence of its founder, Mr. Phaithun Khaomala, a renowned Thai boat modeller and former boat builder. Inspired by their beauty and relationship to the lives of Thai people, Mr. Phaithun dedicated a part of his residence to preseving what he holds to be fine examples of the country's treasured traditions. On display are a wide range of models from his large and exquisite collection, make in teak. Included in the collection are more than 100 models boats delicately made by hand. They range from Thai and Chinese junks to other traditional Thai boats and ocean liners. Among the most impressive items in the collection are models of Thailand's famous Royal Barges. As some of them are rarely seen nowadays, the museum is considered a must-visit.
Opening Hours : Daily from 08:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
Contact : Tel. 0 3524 1195
Exhibition Centres
Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Centre
Location : Bang Sai District
Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Center at Bang Sai
Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts
and Craft Centre
Located on the left bank of the Chao Phraya River in Tambon Bueng Yai, Bang Sai District. Farmers from Ayutthaya as well as from other provinces undergo training in folk arts and crafts here. At this centre, you will have a glimpse of how farmers in the four regions live and work; how their products of arts and crafts are produced. The centre is under the Promotion of Supplementary Occupations and Related Techniques (SUPPORT) which was established under Royal Patronage on the 21st July, 1976. Products and activities which can be seen here are Fern Vien Basketry, Weaving Basketry, Artificial Flowers, Hand-Woven Silk and Cotton, Silk Dyeing, Wood Carving, Miniature Hand - Modeled Thai Dolls, Furniture Making, Cloth-Made Products, etc. All the products are sold at the Centre and in every branch of Chitralada Store.

Places of interest in Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts and Craft Centre are as follows :
Markets
Ayothaya Floating Market
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Ayothaya Floating Market
Ayothaya Floating Market
Ayothaya Floating Market is the newest floating markets in the old city of Ayutthaya which make a nice change from just visiting old temple ruins all day. This floating market, located in a large pond with an island in the middle, surrounding land area is divided into 16 zones according to a different district in Ayutthaya province. With 50 paddle boats and over 200 shops offering goods and food, visitors could enjoy spending time there shopping and sightseeing the beautiful Thai architecture as well as admiring traditional shows and joining a tour boat around the premises. Ayothaya Floating Market it's conveniently next door to the Elephant Camp so you can do an elephant ride. There are shops with handicraft and souvenirs. You can easily spend a couple of hours at this floating market as well as shopping and eating, there are also regular shows during the day.
Ayutthaya Klong Sa Bua Floating Market
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
The Water Theatre at Ayutthaya Klong Sa Bua is the first and only venue in Thailand that features Traditional Thai Sepaa Play on an outdoor water stage. The main stage is located in the center of a large pond with open skies and a beautiful open field as the backdrop. The main stage is set slightly below the water surface, giving an illusion that the actors gracefully move over the water. These components enhance the unique character of our captivating performances.

In recent years, the Sepaa Play was getting rare in Thai society, due to lack of Sepaa artist, and also dancing artists to perform along with the Sepaa Play. Here at the Water Theatre, our dedicated troupe revives each and every performance with a modern twist, making the play more accessible and entertaining to the audience while remaining true to its traditional Thai root.

The Water Theatre features many long-standing and well-known Thai folktales such as Kraithong, Sung Thong, Phra Lor, Kaki, Chantakorop, Phra Aphaimanee, Phra Suthon & Manorah, Nang Sib Song, Pla Bu Thong, and Khun Chang & Khun Phan.
Opening Hours : Weekend & Public Holiday 10:00 am. - 05:30 pm.
Chao Phrom Market
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Gong Khong Market
Gong Khong Market
This day and night market is located in the very center of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya town. This is an old structure with nothing particularly attractive, similar to any other popular market you find around Thailand. It sells just about everything, from fresh and dried foods, fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, etc. to clothing to household and cleaning items to electronics to amulets, etc. However, shops do not open and close all at the same time, and it is generally better to go there during the day.
Gong Khong Market
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
A newly established market worth visiting. Showcasing Ayutthaya's old way of live, the market's name is derived from an action of visitors who need to bend down (Gong Khong) when looking or purchasing the products. A wide range of reasonably priced local products including fresh and chemical-free vegetables and fruites, as well as OTOP products, food and desserts are available.
Opening Hours : Thursday - Sunday from 10:00 am. - 06:00 pm.
Public Parks
Suan Somdet Phra Si Nakharin
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Located on U Thong Road in the Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Historical Park area, to the southwest of Ko Mueang, the Park covers a vast stretch of land with plants in Thai literature, a Thai pavilion and remains of ancient monuments. Part of the area is being developed into a herb garden. The Park also houses a monument of Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother. To get there, from Bangkok, upon crossing Naresuan Bridge to enter the city of Ayutthaya, turn left at the T-junction near Rajabhat University Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthya, turn right via the provincial hospital and the Park will be on the right.
Other Attractions
Japanese Village
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Japanese Village
Japanese Village
In the late 16th Century A.D., there were more foreign commercial traders coming to Ayutthaya. Japanese merchandisers were also permitted to sail their junks to trade with foreigners. A number of them came to Ayutthaya and were granted royal permission by the Thai king at that time to settle around the city island of the Ayutthaya Kingdom like the traders of other nationalities. There were more and more Japanese coming to Ayutthaya ever since.

A Japanese headman at that time was Nagamaza Yamada. He was a favourite of King Song Tham and was appointed Okya Senaphimuk before being promoted to be the Ruler of Nakhon Si Thammarat where he lived till the end of his life. A statue of Mr. Nagamaza and an inscription on the historical background of the village in the Ayutthaya period were erected by the Thai-Japanese Association, with a building exhibiting the relations between the Kingdom of Ayutthaya and foreign countries.
Opening Hours : Daily from 08:00 am. - 06:00 pm.
Baan Hollanda (Dutch Village)
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Baan Hollanda
Baan Hollanda
The Dutch East India Company (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie, or VOC) founded in 1602 and liquidated in 1795 was the largest and most impressive of early modern trading companies operating in Asia. The Dutch government authorized the VOC to conduct trade, erect fortifications, wage wars, appoint governors, keep a standing army and conclude treaties in its name in an Asian trade zone, covering an area ranging between modern-day Iraq and Japan. Dutch VOC-merchants first arrived in Ayutthaya in 1604. The Thai King of the Siam Kingdom allowed the Dutch to establish their first trading post in the capital Ayutthaya in 1608.

The VOC was the principal western trader in Siam in those days and bought tin, deerskins, rayskins, sappanwood, rice and many other products in Siam. The Company obtained the right to monopolize the hide-trade business; being able to make a good fortune from exporting hides to Japan. The Dutch were importers of luxury goods into Siam, such as Indian printed and painted textiles, but they also brought in Japanese silver.

The Dutch not only involved themselves in trade but also participated in Siamese society and politics, largely because such participation served their commercial ends. Their records offer a unique insight into 160 years of trade and diplomacy with the Kingdom of Siam. The huge archives of the VOC are an important source for Thai history, as they contain not only information on trade but also on diplomacy, the history and sociology of the Kingdom of Siam.

The important chronicles by VOC employees, such as Joost Schouten, Jeremias van Vliet and Engelbert Kaempfer bear witness of their profound interest in and knowledge of Siam. Their transcripts are all translated into English and available in Thailand. The 17th century Dutch painter Johannes Vingboons produced a number of detailed maps of Ayutthaya (or Iudea, as he called it).
Opening Hours : Daily from 09:00 am. - 05:00 pm.
St. Joseph's Chatholic Church
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
St. Joseph's Chatholic Church
St. Joseph's Chatholic Church
St. Joseph's Church was built during the reign of King Narai in 1666 as a result of a request from the missionaries headed by Bishop Lambert de la Motte a missionary who wished to build a church and a mission school. The original wooden church was rebuilt in bricks and mortar in the European style between 1685 and 1695. During the second Burmese attack, the Siamese used the church as a shelter which led to its being destroyed on 23 March 1767. In 1831 Father Pallegoix came to Siam and took care of the restoration work on the church. The restoration was completed in 1847. More additions in the 12th century Romanesque style were made during the tenure of Father Perros during the reign of King Rama V. The church is a place of continuous Catholic worship in Thailand for over 300 years.