Lopburi Historical Sites, Travel Guide to Historical Sites of Lopburi

larger text smaller
Lopburi Historical Sites
Historical Sites
Kraison Siharat Hall (Phra Thinang Yen)
Location : Muang District
Kraison Siharat Hall is commonly known as Phra Thinang Yen or Thale Chup Son Hall. This hall was built and used as a residence of King Narai the Great of Ayutthaya, it’s located on an island surrounded by Thale Chup Son which was once a large reservoir surrounded with a dam made of stone and cement. King Narai the Great commanded its construction for relaxation. According to the French chronicle, when King Narai the Great hunted elephants in the east mountain, he would return and stay at this hall. The period of its construction was unknown. However, he also welcomed his honourable guests from France at this hall. Therefore, it must have been constructed prior to 1685.

Phra Thinang Yen is important in terms of astronomy because King Narai the Great utilised this place for an observation of the lunar eclipse on 11 December, 1685, and witnessed the solar eclipse on 30 April, 1688, with the Jesuit priests and the first group of envoys representing King Louise XIV of France.

It is a one-storey hall made of bricks and cement with a cruciform plan. There was a projecting windowed portico. The windows and doors are accented in the Ruean Kaeo style, a famous one during the reign of King Narai the Great. However, the only remain is the wall.
Opening Hours : Daily from 09:00 am. - 04:00 pm.
Contact : Tel. 0 3641 3779, 0 3641 2510
Phra Narai Ratchaniwet (King Narais Palace)
Location : Muang District
Phra Narai Ratchaniwet or King Narais Palace
Phra Narai Ratchaniwet
Phra Narai Ratchaniwet or King Narai's Palace is very important both in history and in archaeology sites, is located in Lopburi town centre behind the railway station near Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat. The palace was constructed during the time of the Khmer reign in 1665 and 1677, when King Narai the Great decided to make Lopburi the second capital of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. Although the buildings were designed by with the contributions of French architects, the Khmer influence was still strong. The Palace was a perfect blend of the both world, an awesome mixture of Khmer-European styles.

After the death of King Narai the Great in 1688, the palace was deserted. It was not until the reign of King Rama IV during the Ratanakosin era, that the Palace was restored and renamed Narai Ratchaniwet. Within the Palace lies a number of compounds containing pavilions, some built during the reign of King Narai and others constructed during the reign of King Rama IV.

Currently, the whole complex of the palace has been turned into the Lopburi National Museum (commonly known as King Narai National Museum). The compounds contain pavilions, built during the reign of King Narai and the reign of King Rama IV.

Structures built during the reign of King Narai the Great include: How to get there
The Palace is located in the town center, between Ratchadamnoen Road and Pratu Chai Road. The whole complex has been turned into the King Narai National Museum. The Palace can be accessed through the Pratu Phayakkha, which is currently a town park, located off Sorasak Road.
Opening Hours : Daily from 07:00 am. - 05:30 pm.
Contact : Tel. 0 3641 1458
Prang Khaek
Location : Mueang District
Prang Khaek is the oldest Khmer-style Hindu Shrine of Lopburi, it has been found in the central region of Thailand. This Shrine comprise with three brick prang and constructed without mortar the shrine has no corridors between each prang. It was made of laterite and decorated with beautiful stucco relief. Prang Khaek is located in the marketplace on Vichayen Road, near the Narai Ratchaniwet Palace. A fascinating small compound of Khmer remains, it consists of the three brick prangs constructed without adjoining corridors. Prang Khaek was restored by King Narai the Great in the 17th century. The monument was more recently restored by the Fine Arts Department.
Phra Prang Sam Yot
Location : Mueang District
Phra Prang Sam Yot
Phra Prang Sam Yot
Phra Prang Sam Yot is well known landmark and provincial symbol of Lopburi. It's stunningly beautiful Hindu temple from the Khmer period when the Khmer empire (or Angkor civilization) stretched straight through Thailand to present-day Burma. A former Hindu Shrine built in the 13th century in the classic Bayon style of Khmer architecture, the compound comprises three prangs (towers) linked by a corridor. The three laterite and sandstone spires decorated with classic stucco are believed to have originally represented the Hindu Trimurti; Brahman (the creator), Vishnu (the preserver) and Siva (the destroyer). During the reign of King Narai, the shrine was converted into a Buddhist temple when a brick vihara located to the east which houses a grand U-Thong-Ayutthaya style Buddha image was probably built. Buddha images were later added to the two prangs.

How to get there
Phra Prang Sam Yot is located on Wichayen Rd., approximately 200 meters, a mound on the west side of the railway near San Phra Kan.
Opening Hours : Daily from 08:00 am. - 06:00 pm.
Wichayen House
Location : Muang District
Wichayen House
Wichayen House
Wichayen House is located at the centre of Lopburi province, on Wichayen Rd., 300 metres from Prang Khaek to the north of Phra Narai Ratchaniwet. The Wichayen House was built at the royal command of King Narai the Great in Lopburi. It initially served as a residence of Chevalier de Chaumont, the first French ambassador to Thailand during the reign of King Louis XIV. Later on, it was occupied by the Greek, Constantine Phaulkon, who later became King Narais advisor and was granted the position of royal minister Chao Phraya Vichayen. The compound has many interesting visible ruins including the Roman Catholic Chapel, a hall of residence for ambassador and mission members, brick water tanks and fountains.
Opening Hours : Wed - Sun 08:00 am. - 06:00 pm. (Close on Monday and Tuesday)