Narathiwat located approximately 1,149 km south of Bangkok on the coast of the Gulf of Thailand at the border of Malaysia at Su-ngai Kolok district,
where the southern railway line ends. The province has a white elephant called Phra Sri Nararat Rajakarin, who is featured on the provincial seal.
At Su-ngai Kolok district is the center of an economic and border tourism, its people are engaged in fishing and trading with neighboring countries.
Narathiwat draws many Malaysians and Singaporean visitors and features a distinct culture featuring many Muslim Thais.
Seventy five percent of Narathiwat is covered with jungles and mountains, there are numerous beaches, and there a number of magnificent temples to visit.
In 1906, Bang Nara became a big trading city with well-developed sea and land transportation.
King Rama V moved the administration office from Ra Ngae to Manalo. In 1915, King Rama VI bestowed the name “Narathiwat,” meaning “home of good people”
on the province that has a constant flow of trade and a fusion of cultures the majority whom are Muslims who speak the distinctive Yawi language.
In addition to its cultural attractions, Narathiwat has beautiful beaches and is the region where most Thai gold is mined.
In the past, Narathiwat was a southern borderland named "Ban Bang Nara" or "Manalo".
It was located near Maenam Bang Nara and the sea. In the reign of King Rama I,
this village was under the administration of Sai Buri. Later,
it came under the administration of Ra Ngae town of Pattani province.
In 1906, Bang Nara became a big trading city with well-developed sea and
land transportation. King Rama V moved the administration office from Ra Ngae to Manalo.
In 1915, King Rama VI changed the name of the town to "Narathiwat".
||: Pattani and Gulf of Thailand
||: Gulf of Thailand and Malaysia
||: Yala and Gulf of Thailand
|Distances to Other Provinces
Ko Lae Boat Races
|Distances from Mueang District to Other Districts
|Cho Ai Rong
: Bang Nara River
The "Ko-lae" boats are traditional fishing vessels commonly found in the Malay communities of Southern Thailand.
In the southern provinces of Thailand, the Thai Ko-lae Boat Race was first hosted in 1976 in honour of Their Majesties the King and Queen,
when the Royal Family travelled to Narathiwat on a state visit. Since then, Ko-lae and long boat races have been organised as an annual event
and has become one of the main attractions of the province.