Phrae Attractions, Attractions in Phrae, what to do in Phrae, Phrae Sightseeing

larger text smaller
Phrae attractions
Historical Sites
Wat Phra Non
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wat Phra Non
Wat Phra Non
Wat Phrae Non is located on Phra Non Neu Road, and near Wat Phra Luang. The temple is in Chiang Saen art, which has no window, but has aperture instead. Gable of temple was beautifully carved in Kankhot designs displaying the story of Ramayana. The temple was decorated with wooden eaves around the fret. Inside is enshrined with the reclining Buddha image, which is stucco Buddha 9 meters long, gilded and lacquer allover body.
Phra That Phra Lor
Location : Amphoe Mueang
A 400-year-old Chedi believed to contain the remains of a king named Phra Lo, the ruler of Nakhon Maen Suang once located in the vicinity. It is said he died together with his two lovers, which gave rise to the legend of folklore. According to the legend, literary information, and archaeological evidence, it's inferred that That-Pra-Lor is the site where a great love was commemorated in funeral flames. Memorialized are the principal actor and actresses of the Thai literature, Phra-Lor and the two sisters, Pra-Puean and Pra-Paeng. Their love triangle ended with sadness the same as Shakespeare's literary Romeo and Juliet. The Chedi itself is at Song district on Highway No.103 some 45 kilometers north of the provincial town.
Religious Sites
City Pillar Shrine Phrae
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wat Chom Sawan
Wat Chom Sawan
The City Pillar Shrine Phrae is situated on Khum Deom Road in the town centre, which features an inscription stone with ancient Thai scripts of the Sukhothai period describing the construction of a temple in the town.

Opening Hours : Daily 06.00 am. – 09.00 pm.
Wat Chom Sawan (Chom Sawan Temple)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Is Just one kilometre from the townhall on Yantrakit Koson Road is Wat Chom Sawan, a Burmese architectural style temple. The building which combines the hall for conducting religious rituals and monk's living quarters is beautifully decorated both in its interiors and exteriors. The over-lapping roofs are adorned with fine fretworks. Antiquities found here include marble Buddha statues, statues made of woven bamboos coated with lacquer, and Buddha statues made from ivory, as well as ivory scripture slabs with Burmese scripts.
Wat Luang (Luang Temple)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wat Luang
Wat Luang
Wat Luang on Kham Lue Road in town is an ancient and principal temple built at the same time Phrae was established. Several restoration works have taken place. Some of its major features include the Vihan and Chiang Saen-style Chedi enshrining a Holy Relic brought over from Myanmar. Others are the museum housing various antiquities including several 500-year-old Buddha statues and an ancient Lanna-style wooden structure.
  • Wihan Luang Pol Nakorn: Temple ancient building with a city spread. The statue is important to "Phra chao Saen Luang" Year Built 2057.
  • Phra That Luang Chai Chang Kham: The Chedi Chiang create art, relics are taken from the "Muang Hong Sao Wadi" stored within it.
  • City Museum diffusion : a place to collect old Buddha statue, about 500 years old. And antiquities of the city are spread, and a traditional Lanna style house. It also exhibited.
  • Cultural: A collection of folk art and culture spread to many provinces.
Wat Phra Bat Ming Mueang (Phra Bat Ming Mueang Temple)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Located on Charoen Muang Road, Muang Phrae ,Wat Phra Bat Ming Muang Worawihan is originally a common temple. Later in 2498 B.E. was raised as a royal temple third class. The name of Wat Phra Bat Ming Muang is from 2 temples assembling, which one is Wat Phra Bat and two is Wat Ming Muang. The two temples are located just a street away from each other. In the past, Wat Phra Bat was the temple of royal regents or royal officers, while Wat Ming Muang was the temple of Phrae rulers. After the falling of ruler system, the 2 temples were abandoned in a very dilapidated condition. Later, the Provincial Committee considered to merge the two temples together and named as Wat Phra Bat Ming Muang until present day. Currently, this temple is the shrine of Kosai Sirichai Shakyamuni Buddha image, invaluable Buddha image of Phrae. Furthermore, Phra Chedi Ming Muang is the old pagoda and has Buddha footprint model.
Wat Phrathat Chohae (Phrathat Chohae Temple)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wat Phrathat Chohae
Wat Phrathat Chohae
Wat Phrathat Chohae (‘Phrathat Chohae Temple’) is one of the country's most important temples featuring northern-style Buddhist architecture and is the most revered building among residents of the northern province of Phrae. Located in a tranquil setting within Phrae's Muang district, 550 kilometers north of Bangkok, the temple is considered a 'must visit' destination among Buddhists, who make the journey to pay respect to the relics of the Lord Buddha, which are housed in the temple's chedi (stupa).

On visiting the temple, Thai Buddhists traditionally walk around the chedi three times in order to pay homage to the relics. It is thought that visiting the temple can provide visitors with good fortune, especially those born in the year of tiger, according to the Thai zodiac.
Wat Phrathat Chom Chaeng (Phrathat Chom Chaeng Temple)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wat Phra That Chom Chaeng is 1 kilometer far from Wat Phra That Cho Hae and about 10 kilometers away from the city. Built in 1331 B.E. with unidentified builder, Phra That Chom Chaeng has gold color, high 29 meters, base 10 meters wide. Legend says that Lord Buddha came to this place in dawn, so is called Phra That Chuan Chaeng. Later, it was distorted to Phra That Chom Chaeng. It is assumed that a pagoda contained the hair elements of Lord Buddha. Women are banned from the relics here. There is the Museum District or museum of the province, which collected ancient rare articles.
Wat Sa Bor Kaew (Sa Bor Kaew Temple)
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wat Sa Bor Kaew is located at the street along Phrae moat. It was built in the same age of Wat Chom Sawan. Formerly, it was called Wat Chong Klang. In the hall, the temple and the pagoda were in beautiful and innovative Myanmar art. There are the marble Buddha image wearing Burmese attire was created a very weirdly beautiful. The temple is also the staying place of Burmese monks who travel to study Buddhist discipline in Thailand.
Wat Phrathat Suthon Mongkhon Khiri (Phrathat Suthon Mongkhon Khiri Temple)
Location : Amphoe Denchai
Wat Phrathat Chom Chaeng
Wat Phrathat Chom Chaeng
Three kilometres from Den Chai district, or some 2 kilometres from the provincial town, is Wat Phrathat Suthon Mongkhon Khiri. Although a comparatively modern temple, it boasts highly eye-catching structures. The Ubosot in particular is noted for its delicate sculptures with fine designs.

There is also the golden teak structure in the Lanna-style which houses valuable relics of the North, including Buddha statues, lacquerware, Lanna musical instruments, ancient weapons and pictures depicting past events.

Opening Hours : Daily 09.00 am. – 04.00 pm.

Wat Phrathat Si Don Kham (Phrathat Si Don Kham Temple)
Location : Amphoe Long
There is a huge gold Chedi housing a Holy Relic at Wat Phra That Si Don Kham. Legend has it that it was built as early as 535 A.D. when the land was under the dominance of the Hariphunchai kingdom.
Monuments
Phraya Chaiyabun Memorial
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Phraya Chaiyabun Memorial
Phraya Chaiyabun Memorial
Phraya Chaiyabun Memorial was constructed for his heroic deeds and sacrifices for the unification of Thailand. He was the governor of the town during 1897-1902, in which he was slain by rebelling Shan tribesmen when he refused to surrender the town to them. After the rebellion was put down by government troops, King Rama V ordered a memorial erected in his honour.

Opening Hours : Daily 08.00 am. – 04.00 pm.

Museums
Museum of Khum Chao Luang Muang Phrae
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Khum Chao Luang Muang Phrae was the residence of the governor, and is located on Khum Derm Road, in the city of Phrae. It was built in 1893 by Chao Luang Piriyathepawong, and is a mixture of Thai and European architecture, popular in the reign of King Chulalongkorn. It is a magnificent building, with a total of 72 doors and windows. The eaves and other parts of the building are decorated with beautiful woodcarvings. The roof is covered with wooden tiles, and there are no gables. The style is of a hip-roofed house, with a square portico projecting out in the front of the building. Formerly, it had two stairways at the sides of the building, on the north and south. But these have been dismantled, and now there are only stairways in the front and back.

The building is made of bricks and traditional cement, and is two-storied, without foundation posts, but with hardwood logs interred horizontally to support all the posts of the house. Under the building is a dark room used as a prison for people from the governor’s retinue who had committed great offences. Inside the Khum there is an old stable which was later used as the provincial school for boys, called Khokma School.

The Khum was also the Regional Area Command for Bangkok soldiers for a period of time, when the soldiers came to keep the peace after the Thai Yai rebellion, which had overrun Phrae, was suppressed. Their Majesties, the current King and Queen, stayed in the Khum when they visited the province of Phrae from 15 to 17 March 1958. This Khum won an Eminent Architecture Award in the category of institute and public buildings in 1993. At present it is opened to the public as a museum.

Khum Chao Luang was built in A.D. 1892 by Chao Luang Piriyachai Thepavong. This Khum was an exceptionally beautiful building, completed elaborately with wooden fretwork. The building exterior was also decorated with sophisticated wooden fretwork. It was a two-story concrete building with hardwood logs interred as its foundation. Its basement was used as custody for detaining the slave who committed the severe offense.

Opening Hours : Daily 08.30 am. – 04.30 pm.
Admission : Free
Contact : Tel. 0 5452 4158
Wongburi House
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wongburi House
Wongburi House
Wongburi House was built in 1897 by Phraya Burirat, then governor of Phrae, for his daughter Chao Sunantha and son-in-law Luang Pongpiboon. It is one of the most beautiful old houses in Phrae. It is a large two-storey teakwood mansion built in fine Thai-European style architecture and painted in pink colour. An outstanding feature is the elaborate woodcarving decorations both inside and outside. At present, the house is used as a living museum. It features the original family's household articles e.g. furniture, silverware, earthenware, and important documents. The house was granted"an excellent conservation of the year 1993" award by the Society of Siam Architecture under Royal Patronage.

Opening Hours : Daily 08.30 am. – 05.00 pm.
Admission : Adult 30 baht, Child 10 baht (price are subject to change)

Folklore Museum (Ban Fai)
Location : Amphoe Sung Men
The Folklore Museum, in the same compound as the Ban Fai garden restaurant three kilometres from town on the Phrae-Sung Men road, is made up of several buildings and wooden structures displaying exhibits on the local way of life. The different types of wooden houses demonstrate the different statuses of the local people. There are also market and shop-houses of the past.

Opening Hours : Daily 09.00 am. – 10.00 pm.
Contact : Tel. 0 5552 3114

Siam Currency Museum
Location : Amphoe Song
Siam Currency Museum is 39 kms from Muang District. It has been a collection place for Thai currencies since the era of Thawarawadee, Sriwichai, Sukhothai and part of the Ratanakosin era. There are more than 2,000 pieces of ancient objects, for example, the title deeds of land in the era of The Fifth King Rama as well as The Royal Materials and ancient appliances.

Opening Hours : Daily 08.30 am. – 04.00 pm.
Admission : 30 baht (price are subject to change)
Contact : Tel. 0 5463 4237, 0 5463 4395

Markets
Hua Dong Market
Location : Amphoe Sung Men
The Hua Dong Market is located about 9 kilometres to the south of town on Highway No. 101 in Sung Men district in the Phrae province. At this market you will mostly find household furniture and decorative items, as it is the centre of products made from wood and rattan. You can get all household furniture as well as outdoor furniture here.
Natural Attractions
Mae Khaem Waterfall
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Phae Muang Phi Forest Park
Phae Muang Phi Forest Park
A small, 2-level waterfall, Mae Khaem waterfall is located at Tambon Suan Khuan. To reach it, go on the Pa Daeng-Thung Hong road for 4 kilometres. Then turn left and continue for another 12 kilometres.
Phae Muang Phi Forest Park
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Phae Muang Phi Forest Park is located about 18 km from the town on Highway 101. It is regarded as Thailand's Grand Canyon. Phae Muang Phi is noted for its fantastic sandstone formations. Phae means a shrub area and Muang Phi means city of ghosts in Thai. As it is a large quiet haunted place and nobody lives around there, people will easily lose their way when going inside. However, it is well worth a visit for those who appreciate spectacular natural rock formations.

It is actually a shallow depression in the ground where soil and sandstone erosion has produced strange-shape formations like giant mushrooms, cliffs and chimneys. Geologists presumed that the great erosion occurred in the Quaternary period about 2 millions years ago.
Tat Mok Waterfall
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Tat Mok waterfall or Mae Koi waterfall, Muang District, Phrae, Mae waiting at Suan dam Away from the city about 22 kilometers to the third floor large waterfalls, beautiful but a walk around to another Km.
Mae Man Reservoir
Location : Amphoe Sung Men
Huai Rong Waterfall
Huai Rong Waterfall
Is 20 kms. from Amphoe Muang following to Phrae-Den Chai road. It is a big reservoir and especially, beautiful in the early morning when the sun is rising.
Huai Rong Waterfall
Location : Amphoe Rong Kwang
Amid cool forested area is the Huai Rong waterfall. It can be reached by taking Highway No. 101 (Phrae-Rong Kwang) and go on for 60km northward. Turn left at Km. 78 and proceed on for a further 4km.
Pha Nang Khoi Cave
Location : Amphoe Rong Kwang
The Pha Nang Khoi Cave is located about 40km north of Phray city on Highway No. 101 within Rong Kwang district. There is a 50m-long rail that leads you to the cave mouth. Along the winding tunnels are strangely-shaped stalactites and stalagmites. At the end of the cave is a stalagmite shaped like a woman holding a small child. In front of the Nang Koi stone is a heart-shaped stalactite. They are the source of the legend of the love of a woman who waited for her lover until she turned into stone.
Dragon-fly Island
Location : Amphoe Song
Is a very beautiful island in the Mae Song Reservoir. Trees and grasses, that were submerged, became appropriated habitat for many species of Dragon-fly. The environmental beauty of water depths and upturns hills is enhanced by the lovely roving dragon-flies.
Mae Song Reservoir
Location : Amphoe Song
Is the largest reservoir in Phrae. It is 12 kms. to the north of Amphoe Song. There is a very beautiful mixed deciduous forest. The hills surrounding the reservoir are very scenic the highest hill is "Pha Pee Pha Nong", a prominent cliff at the edge of the peaceful, deep, clean and clear Mae Song Reservoir. The reservoir capacity is about 65.8 million of cubic meters.
Other Attractions
Ban Rong Fong
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Ban Pra Tub Jai
Ban Pra Tub Jai
Ban Rong Fong specialises in making metal agricultural tools using traditional production method. The village can be reached by taking Highway No.101 (Phrae-Nan) with a turn into Highway No. 1101 leading to Rong Fong.
Ban Pong Si
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Ban Pong Si at Tambon Thin of Muang district is a village which collects and exchanges second-hand household utensils for daily use. It also sells silver products.
Ban Pra Tub Jai
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Baan Pra Tub Jai or “House of 100 poles” was the second place I visited. It was cool! All of the house was made from teakwood and there was 130 big teak poles each pole was more than 300 years old. Some said that it contained the world’s largest amount of teakwood in one house. Inside, you could see carved wooden cabinets, ancient porcelain, “Phang Lang” which was an ancient tripper using instead of a bell or horn, plants in literature, and numerous rare antiques.

Opening Hours : Daily 08.00 am. – 05.00 pm.
Admission : Thai 15 baht, foreigners 20 baht (price are subject to change)
Contact : Tel. 0 5451 1008

Ban Thung Hong
Location : Amphoe Mueang
About 4 kilometres away on Highway No. 101 (Phrae-Nan) is Ban Thung Hong, a village noted for the making of products made from Mo Hom material. It is a local cotton fabric dyed in blue which is used in making native and modern wears.
Wichairacha House
Location : Amphoe Mueang
Wichairacha House was built around 1891 in Manila style. Though being left in a state of dilapidation, this house is another outstanding old teakwood house in Phrae which is worth visiting. Besides the fine architectural structure, the house features the intricate wooden fretwork in its gable, veranda and ventilator.
Teenjok Weaving Cloth Villages
Location : Amphoe Long
Teenjok Weaving Cloth Villages These villages produce intricate and beautiful designs both on cotton and silk. This cottage industry may be found in homes throughout Baan Natum, Baan Namon and Baan Hua Thung.