Hat Yai, which is situated approximately 28 kilometers from the city of
Songkhla, is an important gateway to Malaysia and Singapore. Strategically
located only 60 kilometers from the port of entry at Sadao, Hat Yai has
only recently been developed and has rapidly been transformed into the commercial,
transportation, communication, educational, and tourism hub of the south.
Tourists enjoy shopping at Hat Yai for various goods ranging from fresh
produce to consumer products such as electrical appliances. The area of
Niphat Uthit 1, 2, or 3 Roads is where major commercial shops are located.
Several shopping centers available include Lido Shopping Center, Odeon Shopping
Center, Sanehanuson, Hat Yai Plaza Shopping Center, and Si Kimyong Market
on Phetkasem Road.
Located on Sai Buri Road, this large temple is perhaps the most important
Buddhist temple in Songkhla. It is said that Yai Si Chan, a Songkhla millionaire
donated a large sum of money to construct this more than 400 years old temple.
Later on Wat Liap was built to the north and Wat Pho to the south. The local
residents then changed the name of the temple from Wat Yai Si Chan to Wat
Khlang or Wat Matchimawat. This temple also has the Phattharasin Museum
that houses various artifacts collected from Songkhla, Sathing Phra, Ranot,
and other places.
This Tunnel is situated in Khao Nam Khang, Mu 1, Tambon Khlong Kwang, approximately
4 kilometers from the Park Office. Once known as the Piyamit Village 5,
the tunnel was operated by Communist insurgents. After almost 40 years of
fighting with the Thai Government, the Communist Party was dispersed and
became part of Thai Development Participants in 1987.
Thailands largest and longest man-made tunnel, it was completed in two
years with three separate corridors and three levels deep. The tunnel itself
could accommodate about 200 persons with several rooms such as conference
room, sick bay, radio transmission room, kitchen, firing range, etc.
Sating Phra Ancient Community
This community can be dated back to the early Southern period when most
of the inhabitants were seafaring merchants who traded with the Chinese
and Indians. Situated 500 meters from the Gulf of Thailand and 3,500 meters
from Songkhla Lake, the community left its ancient ruins made from brick
and stone, as well as Chinese pottery from the Tung dynasty (618-908) and
Yuan dynasty (1279-1368). From town district take highway 408 for 36 kilometers.
This mansion is located to the south of Khao Noi hillock on Sadao Road.
It was built as a residence of Prince Chao Fah Yukhon Khamphorn (Krom Luang
Lopburi Ramase) when he was Phra Samut Thesaphibaan of Monthon Nakhon Si
Thammarat, and later Somdet Upparat of Monthon Pak Tai (Southern Territory).
The present King and Queen used to stay at this mansion on an earlier trip
to the South in 1959. At present the mansion is used as the residence of
Governor of Songkhla.
Laem Sai Estuary Fortress
The Fortress was constructed during the reign of King Rama III, when the
city was established. Today, the Fortress, which is located behind the Songkhla
Provincial Police Headquarters, stands as a timeless proof of Songkhla's
Located on Nang Ngam Road, the pillar, which is
highly revered by the local residents, was constructed when the city was
built. This area of the city has distinctly Chinese characteristics as can
be seen in the Chinese-style building where the pillar is enshrined and
nearby buildings on Nakhon Nai and Nakhon Nok Roads. The distinctive Chinese
lifestyle and influence in the area is due to the presence of Chinese immigrants,
who came to settle in Songkhla at the beginning of the 24th Buddhist Century
and had a major role in the establishment of Songkhla.
Wat Chai Mongkhon, on Phetmongkhon-Chaimongkhon Road, has a chedi that was
built to house the Buddhist relics brought back from Langka by a monk named
Na Issaro who was teaching Pali there in 1892.
This is a magnificent temple to visit particularly for archeology enthusiasts.
Established in 999, the temple has several ancient ruins from the Srivijaya
Period such as Chedi Phra Maha That, Wihan Phra Phutthasaiyat (reclining
Buddha), and the bell tower. The monastery is located at Mu 4, Tambon Cha
Thing Phra, just 200 meters from the District Office.
This temple was the seat of Somdet Pha Kho or Luang Pho Thuat Yiap Nam Tha-le
Chuet, the most revered monk in the south. It is said that one day, a pirate
ship sailed along the coast and saw Somdet Pha Kho who seemed different
from other people walking in the area. The pirates wanted identify the difference
so they docked and kidnapped him. However, the ship did not sail very far
before it stopped for no apparent reason and had to anchor there for several
days until they ran out of freshwater. Somdet Pha Kho took pity on them
so he put his left foot in the sea, making it sparkle and turn into freshwater.
The pirates became faithful, asked for his pardon, and took him ashore.
From then on the people started to pay homage to the monk. The temple is
located at Mu 6, Tambon Chumphon, on Khao Phatthasing, about 48 kilometers
from Songkhla, on the Songkhla-Sathing Phra Highway. Getting there: From
the city take highway 407 pass Tinnasulanon Bridge and then turn to highway
408 (Songkhla-Ranot) about km. 110.
The temple, belonging to the Mahayana Buddhist sect, is located at Baan
Nongkhuan Moo 5, Tambon Tha Chang, Amphoe Bangklam on an approximately 4
acre plot. This temple is considered a holy place revered by both Buddhist
Thais and Buddhists from other countries, many of whom travel to pray at
Located on Phetkasem Road, near Khlong U Taphao Bridge, the monastery is
where Phra Phuttha Hattha Mongkhon, a large reclining Buddha measuring 35
meters long, 15 meters tall, and 10 meters wide, is enshrined. Highly revered
by both Thai and foreign tourists, the image is believed to be the third
largest reclining Buddha in the world.
Formerly known as Wat Aek, the temple is located at Tambon Cherngsae, Amphoe
Krasaesin. It houses a sacred Buddha statue made of coral reef. The present
figure, a size of 70 cm. At the lap and 120 cm. high is covered with cement.
For further information, please contact the temple at (074) 399075.
This temple is located in Tambon Padang Besar, Amphoe Sadao. It utilizes
a cave in the premise as place for performing religious practices. Exotic
stalagmites and stalactites are eminent in the cave. The interior of the
cave is partitioned into many chambers. The temple premise is cool and peaceful.
It is about 13 kilometers from Padang Besar market.
Chedi Ong Dam (The Black Chedi)
It was built by Chao Phraya Phra Khlang (Dit Bunnak) and Somdet Chao Phraya
Borom Maha Phrayurawong to commemorate the victory over the Sai Buri Revolt
in 1830. The Chedi is situated at the top Khao Daeng, Tambon Khao Daeng.
Chedi Ong Khao (The White Chedi)
This Chedi was built by Phraya Si Phiphat (That Bunnak) and Somdet Chao
Phraya Maha Phichaiyat to commemorate the victory over Sai Buri, Pattani,
Penang, and Malayan Revolts. After the victory, Phraya Si Phipat remained
in Songkhla for two years and built this Chedi to accompany the first one,
before he returned to Bangkok.
Black Pagoda is located on the top of Khao Daeng Hill in Amphoe Singha Nakhon.
It was built by Chao Muang Phra Khlang (Dis Bunnag) or Somdet Phraya Ongyai
(Somdet Phra Borom Maha Prayoorawong on occasion of a victory over the rebellion
of Kedah in 1830.
White Pagoda was built by Phraya Sri Phiphat (Thad
Bunnag) or Somdet Maha Phichai Yat in memory of the victory over the rebellion
of the rulers of Kedah, Patani, and Penang. After suppessing the rebellion,
Phraya Sri Phiphat governed Songkhla for two years, during which time he
built the white pagoda on top of the hill as a twin of the black one.
Institute for Southern Thai Studies
This Institute is situated on Ko Yo, near the foot of the second part of
the Tinsulanond Bridge. Established in 1978 to undertake the study of southern
arts and culture, the institute has been transformed into a live museum
that exhibits comprehensive sets of local art and culture, and southern
lifestyles. The systematic exhibitions cover more than 30 rooms with displays
concerning history, religion, tradition, occupation, folk play, handicrafts,
and various artifacts. In addition, there are presentations that recount
local wisdom, which has been accumulated and passed down through several
generations. Other than the exhibitions and presentation, there are several
viewpoints where visitors can admire Songkhla Lake and aquaculture farms
in the institute. Call 0 7433 1185-8 for more information.
Located on Chana Road, the Museum, constructed in the Chinese style, was
originally built in 1878 as the mansion of Songkhla’s ruler. It later became
the domicile of Songkhla’s upper administrative officers, the City Hall
and in 1953, the building was converted into a museum to exhibit lower southern
artifacts. Today it is the place where local archaeology, history and folk
art and culture can be studied and appreciated. Noteworthy is the collection
of artifacts of the Na Songkhla Family that used to rule the city.
It is opened to the public, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.,
except Mondays, Tuesdays and public holidays.
Located on Chana Road near the Songkhla National Museum, Phathammarong Museum
is a Thai-style museum constructed to resemble the birthplace of H.E. Prem
Tinsulanond, the former Prime Minister and Statesman who is a Songkhla native.
It is open daily except on Monday at 8.30-16.00 hrs.